Teeth Cleaning in Edmond, OK
Dental Checkups and Cleanings in Edmond and Oklahoma City Metro
Your dental checkup and cleaning are preventative measures that can detect problems before they worsen. Edmond, Oklahoma’s Bright Smile Family Dentistry can help you maintain good oral health while also saving you money.
What Does a Checkup and Dental Cleaning at Bright Smile Family Dentistry Entail?
When you visit Bright Smile Family Dentistry for a dental checkup and cleaning, we will check for a number of dental issues that could affect your health, including:
- Broken teeth or fillings
- Signs of bone loss or tooth decay
- Early signs of oral cancer
Your dental cleaning will also remove plaque, which can lead to gum disease. Untreated, gum disease can eventually lead to bone and tooth loss.
When you leave the dentist’s office, it’s important to continue to brush (and floss) at least twice a day. Cleanings remove the buildup on your teeth, but the bacteria that cause plaque will begin to re-appear in your mouth within 24-48 hours of your appointment.
How Often Should I Get My Teeth Cleaned?
If your mouth is healthy and you have good brushing and flossing habits, your dentist will probably recommend that you get your teeth cleaned twice a year.
Certain people may need to visit Bright Smile Family Dentistry more frequently.
- Patients with traditional braces will need to get their teeth cleaned more often to avoid plaque buildup in the hard-to-reach spots covered by wires or brackets.
- Pregnant women are more susceptible to gingivitis during their pregnancy, so they will need to visit the dentist more often to avoid putting themselves or the baby at risk. X-rays can be performed during pregnancy, thanks to advances in technology which have made X-rays much safer than in years past.
- Patients with gum disease are recommended to visit us at Bright Smile every three months, to curb the advancement of the disease.
Benefits of Teeth Cleaning for Oral Health
There are a number of dental problems that can be addressed and prevented with regular hygiene visits, saving you more money on dental procedures, like fillings, later on.
- Regularly getting your teeth cleaned removes plaque, and prevents tooth decay, which can lead to cavities.
- The buildup of excessive plaque on your teeth can lead to gum disease, the major cause of tooth loss in patients. Gum disease can cause loss of bone in your jaw, which leads to teeth loosening and eventually falling out.
Will My Insurance Cover a Check-Up and Cleaning at Bright Smile Family Dentistry?
Most dental insurance providers will cover two dental hygiene visits per year, with little or no out-of-pocket for the patient. In fact, some premium dental insurance plans even cover more frequent dental cleanings.
Be sure to check with your dental insurance provider if you have any questions about the specifics of coverage.
If you do not have insurance, preventative cleanings are still a worthwhile investment, because any potential dental problems found during your check-up and visit, if untreated, could lead to much more costly problems in the future.
The Relationship Between Dental Cleanings and Overall Health
Visiting Edmond’s top dental hygienists at Bright Smile Family Dentistry regularly can help you maintain good oral health, but did you know that your oral health and your overall health are interrelated? There is a strong link between your oral health and the following health conditions:
- Heart Disease and Stroke – Getting your teeth cleaned can lessen your risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Diabetes –Not only does having diabetes make you more likely to develop gum disease, but serious gum disease could affect blood glucose, worsening diabetes.
- Pregnancy – Studies have shown there is a correlation between gum disease and lower birth weights or premature births. It’s also important that if any of your teeth get infected during pregnancy that you address the concern quickly. Bacteria from an infected tooth could get into the bloodstream, putting yourself and the baby at potential risk.
- Dementia – Good oral health has been shown to reduce the risk of dementia by 1/3.
Schedule Your Check-Up and Cleaning Today
Bright Smile Family Dentistry is a family-friendly dentist serving the Edmond and Oklahoma City metro areas. If you’re due for a check-up and cleaning, we will make sure you are comfortable and receive the care you need to get your dental health in top shape. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.